Research Group: Translation and Reception Studies (RG 6)
Professional Title: Lecturer
Academic Degrees: (1990). MA in Anglo-American Studies, English Linguistics, U Lisboa; (1980). Four-year degree in Germanic Philology, U Lisboa
Institutional Address: CEAUL - Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, Alameda da Universidade,1600-214 Lisboa
Publications in peer reviewed journals and/or other publications:
- (2012). “EIL in Legal and Medical Portuguese: Contracts and Medical Research Articles” (Co-auth.: EMCabrita). Anglo-Saxónica. Series: III. Nr.4: 53-72.
Books and book chapters of international circulation:
- (2012). “English as the language of science and academic discourse in (non-)translated medical Portuguese: The initial stages of a research project”. In Beatrice Fisher and Matilde Nisbeth Jensen (Eds.) Translation and the Reconfiguration of Power Relations: Revisiting Role and Context of Translation and Interpreting. Wien: LIT Verlag, 221-236.
- (2010). “’As I found the Portuguese, so I have characterised them’: o contributo da adjectivação na construção do real”. In LAzuaga (Ed.) Relatos de Viagens: representações e codificações linguísticas de Portugal no século XIX. Vol. 2. Lisboa: CEAUL, 77-110.
- (2009). Linguagem, Cultura e Sociedade: Abordagens Linguísticas (Co-eds: EPedro and MCLCosta). Lisboa: CEAUL/Edições Colibri.
Books, including single-authored works (including scholarly editions of oral or written texts and translations with introductions and commentary):
- (2011). Translation of Mark Henderson Genética. 50 Ideias que precisa mesmo de saber (Collab: EMCabrita, Scient. revision: Maria Luísa Breitenfeld). Lisboa: Dom Quixote.
- (2008-2009) Scient. Co-revision (with EMCabrita) of the English school books Profile (8th Year), Cool Zone (8th and 9th Years), Link up (10th and 11th Years), published in 2008 by Texto Editores and Link up (12th Year) published in 2009 by Leya Texto Editores.
Chapters in books, including contributions to conference proceedings, contributions to festschriften, essays in collections:
- (2012). “Turning the camera on herself: Cindy Sherman in the EFL classroom” (Co-auth: EMCabrita). In CVFerreira et al. “A Scholar for all Seasons.” Homenagem a João de Almeida Flor. Lisboa: CEAUL, 367-381.
- (2009). “Told in Letters: an Approach to Letter Writing through Vermeer’s Paintings” (Co-aut: EMCabrita). In ‘So Long Lives This, and This Gives Life to Thee’: homenagem a Maria Helena de Paiva Correia (Org: CEAUL/ULICES). Lisboa: DEA-FLUL, 211-225.
Other research outputs:
- (2010). “Medical discourse in English and Portuguese: Intercultural relations in a hegemonic Anglophone world.” 22nd CETRA International Doctoral Summer School in Translation Studies, KU Leuven, 16-26 Aug.
Organisation of scientific dissemination activities:
- (2012) Org. Committee Charles Dickens bicentenary celebrations Charles Dickens in Portugal (Scient. supervision and coord: AARosa and JAFlor), U Lisboa / Cinemateca Portuguesa, Feb-Mar. (CEAUL/ULICES).
- (2008) Org. Committee Narrating the Portuguese Diaspora 1928-2008: Int. Conf. on Storytelling, U. Lisboa. 21-23 Oct.(CEAUL/ULICES).
- (2009). VII Escuela Internacional de Verano de Terminologia, IULATERM, U Pompeu Fabra, 6-10 July. Alumna.
Presentations in international conferences:
- (2011). “The Impact of ELF on European Portuguese: English as the Lingua Franca of Law and Medicine” (Co-auth: EMCabrita). 4th Int. Conf. English as a Lingua Franca (ELF4), Hong Kong Inst. of Education, 26-28 May.
Presentations in national conferences:
- (2013). “The Impact of English on target language specialised discourse: law and medicine” (Co-aut: EMCabrita). 1st ULICES Conf. on Translation Studies Voice in Indirect Translation, U Lisboa, 10-11 Jul.
- (2013). “A multiplicidade das inteligências no ensino-aprendizagem de uma segunda língua” (Co-auth: EMCabrita). Conf. Primeiros passos para a mudança na educação do século XXI, U Lisboa, 1 Feb.
- (2010). “A Multiple-Intelligences approach to a short story” (Co-aut: EMCabrita and MLFalcão). 24th of the APPI Conf. Highlighting Key Skills in Language Learning, Guimarães, 30 Ap-2 May.
- (2007-…). Intercultural Literature in Portugal, 1930-2000: A Critical Bibliography. Coord: ARRosa (CEAUL/ULICES) Teresa Seruya, Maria Lin Moniz (CECC-UCP). Researcher.
- (2013). “If foreignisation comes, can domestication be far behind? The case of legal and medical translation” (Co-auth: EMCabrita). 7th Colloquium on Translation Studies in Portugal, Int. Conf. 1813-2013 Two Centuries of Reading Friedrich Schleiermacher’s seminal text “About the Different Methods of Translation”, U Lisboa, 24-25 Oct. (CECC-ULICES).
- (2010-2015). Do discurso médico em Inglês e Português: relações interculturais num mundo de Hegemonia Anglófona (On Medical Discourse in English and Portuguese: Intercultural Relations in a World of English Hegemony) (Supervisor: AARosa), U Lisboa, (PhD in Intercultural and Translation Studies), due 15 Mar. 2015.
- (Forthcomig) “Challenges facing pre-service ESP teacher education: legal and medical English” (Co-auth: EMCabrita and RQBarros). In Juan de Dios Martínez Agudo (Ed.) Issues and Perspectives on English Language Teacher Education: Facing New Challenges.
- (2014-2020). SCI-TECH in Trans: The dynamics of EN<->PT translation and reception of non-literary texts in Portugal. Coord.: KBenett and FFAlves. (CEAUL/ULICES).