|Research Group: English Studies: Culture (RG 2)
Professional Title: PhD student
Academic Degrees: (2008). MA in English Studies, English Culture, U Lisboa.
Institutional Address: CEAUL -Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214 Lisboa
- (2008). “Richard Hooker e a defesa da via media em Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity,” (Supervisor: CVFerreira, U Lisboa), U Lisboa, (MA in Cultures Studies).
Books and book chapters of international circulation:
- (2013). “Liberalism Today: The Challenges Posed by Plural Societies.” In Cercel, Cosmin Sebastian and Cihan Ozpinar (Eds.) Examining State and Evil: Authoritarian Slips, Past and Present. Interdisciplinary.net.
- (2011). “The Individual, Society, and the State as Mediator: An Introductory Approach to L. T. Hobhouse’s Ethical Liberalism.” In Aoife Padraigín Fole (Ed.) Ethics, Evil, Law and the State. Interdisciplinary.net.
Chapters in books, including contributions to conference proceedings, contributions to festschriften, essays in collections:
- (2013). “Richard Hooker and the shaping of the Church of England’s identity: the Role of Scripture, Reason and Tradition.” In CVFerreira et al (Eds.) A Scholar for all Seasons. Volume de Homenagem a João de Almeida Flor. Lisboa: CEAUL, 201-207.
- (2011). “Inverted Priorities: L. T. Hobhouse’s Critical Voice in the context of Imperial Expansion.” In ASerras (Ed.) Empire Building and Modernity. Lisboa: CEAUL, 49-58.
- (2011). “Império e Religião: The Star in the East e a polémica em torno das missões.” In CVFerreira and TAMalafaia (Eds.) The British Empire. Ideology, Perspectives, Perceptions. Lisboa: ULICES, 105-113.
Other categories, including web-based resources; video and audio recordings (to the extent that they embody research):
- (2011). Radio Programme about Richard Hooker and the Elizabethan Reformation, broadcasted by Antena 2, programme Música Aeterna. 5-12 Nov.
Organisation of scientific dissemination activities:
- (2011). Org. Committee of Conf. Reviewing Imperial Conflict, U Lisboa, 26-28 Oct.
- (2010). Org. Committee of Conf. Empire Building and Modernity, U Lisboa, 7 Dec.
- (2009). Org. Committee of Conf. Visualizing the Empire, U Lisboa, 26 May.
- (2009). Org. Committee of Conf. Questioning the Empire, U Lisboa, 21 May.
Presentations in international conferences:
- (2013). “Considerations on the Nature of the Democratic State: L. T. Hobhouse’s Contribution.” Int. Multidisciplinary Conf. International Journal of Arts and Sciences, Harvard U, 26-30 May.
- (2012). “Liberalism Today: The Challenges Posed by Plural Societies.” Int. Conf. 6th Ethics, Evil and the State , Prague, 6-8 May.
- (2011). “Where the Modern State Rests: Rights and Democracy in L. T. Hobhouse`s Political Thought.” 2nd Int. Conf. Intersections of Law and Culture. Franklin College, 23-25 Sep.
- (2011). “The Individual, Society, and the State as Mediator: An Introductory Approach to L. T. Hobhouse’s Ethical Liberalism.” 5th Int. Conf. Ethics, Evil, Law and the State, Warsaw, 22-24 May.
- (2009). “The Importance of Law in the Context of a changing culture: analyzing Richard Hooker’s contribution to the English Reformation.” Int. Conf. Intersections of Law and Culture, Franklin College. 2-4 Oct.
Presentations in national conferences:
- (2012). “The Place of Liberalism (s) in Multicultural Societies.” 33rd APEAA Conf. Authority Versus Alterity: the return of hegemony?, U Católica, 20-21 Sep.
- (2011). “When Conflict Takes Over: L. T. Hobhouse on Evolution and Social Darwinism.” Int. Conf. Reviewing Imperial Conflicts, U Lisboa, 26-28 Oct.
- (2011). “How Race Matters: Empire and Assumptions about Race in E. M. Forster’s A Passage to India.” Annual APEAA Conf. Current Debates in English and American Studies, U Coimbra, 12-14 May.
- (2010). “Inverted Priorities: L. T. Hobhouse’s Critical Voice in the Context of Imperial Expansion.” Int. Conf. Empire Building and Modernity, U Lisboa, 6-7 Dec.
- (2010). “Re-assessing the role of Henry VIII in England’s Political and Religious Turning-point.” SEDERI Int. Conf. Ports, Piers and Roads, U Porto, 22-24 Apr.
- (2009). “Considerations on The East Offering its riches to Britannia.” Int. Conf. Visualizing Empire, U Lisboa, 26 May.
- (2009). “Império e Religião: The Star in the East e a polémica em torno das missões.” Int. Conf. Questioning Empire, U Lisboa, 21 Apr.
- (2009). “Richard Hooker and the Shaping of the Church of England’s Identity: the role of Scripture, Reason and Tradition.” Annual APEAA Conf. Self, Memory, Expression. U Porto, 19-21 Feb.
- (2013-14). (Co-auth.) CBaptista, and Maria Emília Fonseca (Eds). Três Anos de Império: Memórias do GI2. CEAUL.
- (2013-2014). “When Conflict Takes Over: L. T. Hobhouse on Evolution and Social Darwinism.” Reviewing Imperial Conflict. Cambridge Scholars Press.
- (2014, first semester). PhD thesis on L. T. Hobhouse’s Political Thought.
- (2015-...). Culture, Globalisation, Democracy: The UK and the World (working title). Researcher. (CEAUL/ULICES).