Research Group: American Studies (RG 3)
Professional Title: Executive Coordinator of the Council for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (research funding agency of the Portuguese Ministry of Science, Technology, and Higher Education). Assistant Professor in American and English Studies.
Institutional Address: Conselho Científico das Ciências Sociais e Humanidades, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. Avenida D. Carlos I, 126. 1249-074 Lisboa
- Study of 20th-century Southern fiction.
- American Studies
- Gender Studies
- Ongoing Individual Project: the construction of masculinities in the fiction of Eudora Welty and Flannery O’Connor.
- Other projects of GI5.
- 2005 - University of Coimbra, PhD (American Literature).
- 2000 - University of Coimbra, MLitt (American Studies).
- 1996-97 – University College Dublin. MA in Anglo-Irish Studies.
- 1996 – University of Coimbra, BA in Modern Languages and Literatures.
2010 - «White Southern Manhood in Welty’s “Death of a Travelling Salesman”», in Diana Almeida e Paula Elyseu Mesquita, orgs. Heart, Mind and Skin: Eudora Welty’s Protean Art (Antologia Crítica), Lisboa: CEAUL, Outubro de 2010.
2009 - “ ‘The anger, the love, the pride, and rest of marriage’” - Women and Wedlock Ideology in Eudora Welty’s Delta Wedding”, in Delta Wedding, org. Reine Bouton, Amsterdam: Rodopi Press.
2008 - “Dressed to Kill: The Sex of the Wars in Cather and Faulkner” in Translocal Modernisms, eds. António Sousa Ribeiro and Irene Sousa Santos, New York: Peter Lang.
2006. O que Billy Quer Vestir: Dinâmicas Sociossexuais em Willa Cather e William Faulkner. Porto: Campo das Letras.
2006 - “Mortal Combat: One of Ours, de Willa Cather”, in Maria Irene Ramalho e António Sousa Ribeiro (orgs.), Memória, Violência e Identidade – Novas Perspectivas Comparadas Sobre o Modernismo, Centro de Estudos Sociais da Universidade de Coimbra.
2004 - “Daughters of Necessity, Mothers of Resource – White Women and the War in Faulkner’s Absalom, Absalom!”, in Donald Kartiganer and Ann J. Abadie (eds.) Faulkner and War, Jackson: University of Mississippi Press.
2002 – “The Persistence of Memory: Reading Faulkner in a Postcolonial Portuguese Context,” in The Faulkner Journal of Japan, 4, Tóquio.
Organisation of Critical Volumes:
2012 - (Faulkner’s) Light in August, Dialogue Series, Amsterdam: Rodopi Press. (International Collection)
2011 - Diana Almeida and Paula Elyseu Mesquita, eds. Heart, Mind and Skin: Eudora Welty’s Protean Art (Critical Anthology), Lisbon: ULICES/CEAUL.
2009 - Richard Wright at 100, Lisbon: Edições Colibri (Internacional Collection).
- 2011 - Co-organiser with Diana Almeida of the International Conference “Women and the Arts: Dialogues in Female Creativity in the U.S. and Beyond”, University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies. (http://womenandthearts.blogspot.com/).
- 2010 - Member of the Executive Committee of the Mark Twain Commemorations (University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies / Luso-American Foundation / National Library. (http://www.flad.pt/?no=3000001576:08102010).
- 2009 - Member of the Organising Commitee of the International Symposium Internacional “Post-Racial America”, (http://post-racialamerica.blogspot.com/).
- 2008 - Sole Organiser of the “Richard Wright at 100” International Conference, University of Beira Interior (http://richardwrightat100portugal.blogspot.com). Funding:: 10000 euros (Foundation for Science and Technology, Embassy of the United States, BPI).
- 2008 – Fulbright Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study of Southern Culture, University of Mississippi.
- Department of English of the University of Nebraska/ The Willa Cather Foundation – Title: “«Bungling but Meaning the Best”: Experiments in Modern Heterosexual Love in My Mortal Enemy and Wild Palms».” Funding: Occasional Lecture Program, Council for the Exchange of International Scholars, US.
- 2007 – Popular Culture Association/European Culture Association, Boston. “The anger, the love, the pride, and rest of marriage” - Women and Wedlock Ideology in Eudora Welty’s Delta Wedding”. Funding: Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation/Luso-American Foundation. Madonna Marsden Foundation travel award.
- 2006 - European Association for American Studies Biennial Conference (“Conformism, Non-Conformism and Anti-Conformism in the Culture of the United States”), Nicosia, Cyprus. Title: “Marriage and Home in Eudora Welty and Willa Cather.” Funding: UBI.
- 2004 - American Literature Association Conference 2004, San Francisco, Califórnia/The Willa Cather Society. Title: “ ‘Under the Bulk of Me’: What Really Was Wrong With Myra”. Funding: FCT.
- 2003 – Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, promoted by the University of Hawaii – West Oahu. Title: “Men on the Verge of Gender Breakdown: Faulkner’s Broken Urn”. Funding: FCT.
- 34th National College English Association Annual Conference: “After the Apocalypse: Re-envisioning Our Research and Curricula”, St. Petersburg, Florida. Title: “Dressed to Kill: the Sex of the Wars in Cather and Faulkner.” Funding: Fundação Luso-Americana.
- 2001 – Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference: “Faulkner and War” - University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi. Title: “Daughters of Necessity, Mothers of Resource – White Women and the War in Faulkner’s Absalom, Absalom!”. Funding: Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference. Winner of the Call for Papers competition.
Supervision of Doctoral Theses and MA Dissertations:
- Since 2007: Supervisor of 9 master’s dissertations and and co-supervision of 1 PhD thesis (completed). Ongoing: supervision of 3 PhD theses and 2 master's theses.
- Examiner of 11 master’s dissertations and of 2 PhD theses.
Other Curricular elements:
- Since 2010 – Executive Coordinator of the Council for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, Portugal. (Research Funding Agency of the Ministry for Science, Technology and Higher Education).
- 2008/2012- Member of the General Council of the University of Beira Interior.
- Since 2007 – Member of the editorial board of Op. Cit. - Uma Revista de Estudos Anglo-Americanos (Portuguese Association for Anglo-American Studies).
- 2005 - 2010 – Assistant Professor and Programme Director at the Faculty of Arts of University of Beira Interior, Portugal (2005/2009 Portuguese and English Studies; 2008-2010 Spanish and English Studies)
- 2006 – 2008 – Member of the Literary Translation workshop for Ficções – Revista de Contos, Lisbon: Editorial Caminho (ed. Luísa Costa Gomes).
- Since 2007 – Member of evaluation panels of Fulbright – Portugal research grants. Since 2009 member of the Fiscal Board of the Portuguese Fulbright Alumni Association.
- 2003 - 2005 - Associate researcher, Centre for Social Studies of the University of Coimbra. FCT evaluation: Excellent.
- 1997-2001 – Language Assistant, University of Birmingham, Reino Unido.