Research Group: American Studies (RG 3)
Professional Title: Assistant Lecturer
Academic Degrees: (2013). Ph.D. in American Literature, U Coimbra; (2005). Post-graduation in American Studies, U Aberta; (2000). MA in Women’s Studies, U Limerick; (1997). Four-year degree in Modern Languages and Cultures, Portuguese and English Studies, U Coimbra.
Institutional Address: CEAUL - Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214 Lisboa
- (2013). “The Impossible Fusion of Horizons: The theme of the journey in Paul Bowles’s short fiction” (Supervisor: Graça Capinha, U Coimbra, Co-supervisor: Jacinta Matos, U Lisboa), U Coimbra (Ph.D. in American Literature). Summa cum Laude. Jan.
- (2009). Graduate Student Caucus Travel Award 2009, “Ways to Tell Tales. Bowles’s American words and Blaufuks’s Portuguese pictures.”
- 40th Anniversary Convention, Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA), Boston.
Publications in peer reviewed journals and/or other publications:
- (2009). “‘Em meses de inverneira, histórias à lareira’: provérbios e dizeres enquanto transmissores de valores culturais e de identidade.” Cultures Littéraires: nouvelles performances & développement, numéro spécial de Carnets. (Fall/Winter).
Books and book chapters of international circulation:
- (2008). “Os quadros das narrativas: as artes plásticas em The Wings of the Dove.” In Mário Jorge Torres (Ed.) Não vi o livro, mas li o filme. Ribeirão: Húmus, 453-465.
Chapters in books, including contributions to conference proceedings, contributions to festschriften, essays in collections:
- (2011). "A influência das 'luzes' na educação das mulheres portuguesas." In Irene Tomé et al.(Eds.) Olhares sobre as mulheres. Lisboa: CESNOVA.
Materiais de áudio/visual e electrónico/digital:
- (2010). Dir. and prod. of photo-documentary “The pleasant feeling of being in a more innocent age: Paul Bowles’s impressions on Portugal”, premiered in Int. Conf. Do You Bowles?
Outras categorias, incluindo recursos baseados na web, gravações de vídeo e áudio (desde que se enquadre no âmbito da investigação):
- (2012-…). Portuguese dictionary of American Studies, ULICES/CEAUL. Collaborator.
Organisation of scientific dissemination activities:
- (2010). Org. Committee Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? (Co-org: ADuarte), ULICES, 21-23 Oct.
Presentations in international conferences
- (2013). “The Politics of Dark Tourism: the legitimation of popular American myths.” Eszterházy Károly College, Hungary, 22 Apr.
- (2008). “The Danger of Stereotypes in Tourism Promotion.” Katholieke Hogeschool de Mechelen, Belgium,17 Apr.
- (2009). “Ways to Tell Tales. Bowles’ American words and Blaufuks’ Portuguese Pictures.” 40th Conference of the Northeast Modern Language Association, Boston, 28 Feb-1 Mar.
Comunicações apresentadas em conferências nacionais
- (2012). “Viva Las Vegas! City, Stage and City-Stage in Francis Ford Coppola's One from the Heart” (Co-auth: Luísa Sol). Int. Conf. Changing Times: Performances and Identities on Screen, U Lisboa, 7-9 Nov.
- (2011). "Humorous Connections: Poetry and Illustration in Dorothy Parker's 'Figures in Popular Literature.'" 32nd Annual APEAA Conference, U Coimbra, 12-14 May.
- (2009). “You know how it is with them: representations of blackness in Welty’s “Powerhouse” and in Bowles’s “Sylvie Ann, the Boogie Man.” Int. Conf
- Post-Racial America: Has the USA moved beyond the Race Issue?, U Lisboa,
- 6-12 Nov.
- (2008). “‘Em meses de inverneira, histórias à lareira’: provérbios e dizeres enquanto transmissores de valores culturais e de identidade.” Int. Colloquium Culturas Literárias: Novas Performances & Desenvolvimento, U Aveiro, 2-3 Oct.
- (2008). “A Natural Born Drifter: Paul Bowles’s Writings as Diasporic Spaces.” Int. Conf. From Brazil to Macao: Travel Writing and Diasporic Spaces, CEAUL/ULICES, 10-14 Sep.
- (2013). “The Political Tourist Gaze. A portrayal of American Foreign Policy in Salman Rushdie’s The Jaguar Smile. A Nicaraguan Journey.” Int. Conf. for Academic Disciplines, American U of Rome, Oct.
- (2014). “Malika’s Grand Tour. Destiny and Destinations in Paul Bowles’ ‘Here to Learn.’” In Anne Richards & Iraj Omidvar (Eds.) Eastern Travellers in the West. NY: Syracuse U Press. Spring/Summer (To be published).
- (2015/ 2016). Photo-documentary “The pleasant feeling of being in a more innocent age’: Paul Bowles’s impressions on Portugal” (To be released in int. documentary film festivals).
- (Spring/Summer 2016). “The pleasant feeling of being in a more innocent age’: As impressões de Paul Bowles sobre Portugal. Coimbra: Almedina.