Research Group: American Studies (RG 3)
Professional Title: Assistant Professor
Institutional Address: CEAUL - Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214 Lisboa
- Mapping American Studies in Portugal – An Online Dictionary.
- Luso-Americans – The Intercultural and Intra-cultural Dynamics of Portuguese-American Culture.
- Ph.D. in North-American Culture, with thesis entitled The Political Jeremiad of Henry Adams, Universidade de Lisboa (2007).
- M.A. in North-American Literature and Culture, with thesis entitled Tell Me How Long the Train’s Been Gone ou O Sonho Adiado de James Baldwin, Universidade de Lisboa (1998).
- B.A. in Classical Studies, The University of Calgary (1984).
Articles / chapters in books:
- “The Powerless Diplomacy of the Abbé Correia da Serra,” Anglo-Saxónica – Journal of the University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies, Série III, nr. 1, 2010: pp. 241-60.
- “Self and Nation in Henry Adams’s Works,” Op. Cit. – A Journal of Anglo American Studies, Vol. 12 , 2010: pp. 289-305.
- “Manifest Destiny” in Henry Adams’ History of the United States – The Powerless Diplomacy of the Abbé Correia, III World Congress of the International American Studies Association, Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa, September 20-23, 2007 (CD ROM).
- “Henry Adams and the Question of Free Trade in Postbellum America,” in Novos Caminhos da História e da Cultura – Actas do XXVII Encontro da APEAA. Lisboa: Editorial Minerva, 2007, pp. 249-58.
- “Rethinking Abraham Lincoln and Eudora Welty in a Multicultural America,” an interview by Carla Baptista published in the magazine Parallel (no. 4, Winter / Spring 2010), Fundação Luso-Americana para o Desenvolvimento (FLAD).
Papers delivered at academic conferences:
- “The Imagined Polity of Henry Adams,” V World Congress of the International American Studies Association (IASA), Univ. Federal Fluminense, 27-29 July 2011, “The Cameron Report: Henry Adams and the Cause of Cuban Independence,” IV World Congress of the International American Studies Association (IASA), Beijing Foreign Studies University, 18-20 September 2009.
Organisation of academic meetings and conferences (recent):
- Executive committee member of the international conference Changing Times – Performances and Identities on Screen, Faculdade de Letras da Univ. de Lisboa, 7-9 November 2012, X Congresso da LUSOCOM – Comunicação, Cultura e Desenvolvimento, Instituto Superior de Ciências Sociais e Políticas da Univ. Técnica de Lisboa, 27-29 September 2012, Women and the Arts: Dialogues in Female Creativity, Poe and Gothic Creativity, Faculdade de Letras da Univ. de Lisboa, 18-20 March 2009, co-organizer of the international symposium Post-Racial America – Has the USA Moved Beyond the Race Issue?, Faculdade de Letras da Univ. de Lisboa, 6 a 13 November 2009.
Other curricular elements:
- Co-organizer of the bibliographical exhibition “Abraham Lincoln,” Biblioteca da Faculdade de Letras da Univ. de Lisboa, November 2009.
- Co-organizer of the bibliographical exhibition “Edgar Allan Poe,” Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal, March 2009.
- Co-examiner of the Ph.D. thesis of Mário Correia Alves, “Convergência de Visões na Fundação dum País: Thomas Jefferson e Benjamin Franklin,” Faculdade de Letras da Univ. de Lisboa, 21 April 2010.
- Revision of the Portuguese translation of the book by Richard D. Davis, The Abbé Correia da Serra in America, 1812-1820 (Providence, Rhode Island: Gavea Brown, 1955), in the process of being published by Imprensa de Ciências Sociais da Universidade de Lisboa and FLAD – Fundação Luso-Americana para o Desenvolvimento.