|Research Group: American Studies (RG 3)
Professional Title: PhD Student
Academic Degrees: (2006). MA Comparative Literature, U Lisboa; PhD candidate in American Studies, U Lisboa.
Institutional Address: CEAUL - Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214 Lisboa, Portugal
/ Webpage: www.anabeladuarte.com
Publications in peer reviewed journals and/or other publications:
- (2010). "The Raven” and the “Mask of the Red Death”: Lou Reed, Diamanda Galas, and Edgar Allan Poe's resistance aesthetics in contemporary music.” In MVGato and MALima (Eds.) Edgar Allan Poe Review: Poe and Inter-Arts, Spring 2010. Vol. 11. Nr. 1.
- (2010). Conference Program “Introduction.” Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial, CEAUL/ULICES, U Lisboa, 21-23 Oct.
- (2010). Exhibition Catalogue “Introduction”, “Pirates at Heart: Excavating Paul Bowles.” Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial, U Lisboa Library/U Delaware Library.
- (2010). “‘Yoko Ono Plastic Band – Between my Head and the Sky’: Múltipla Fantasia em Múltiplos Estilos.” Arte Capital, 28 Jun.
- (2010). “Aileen Wuornos: monstros são os outros.” Umbigo. Nr. 32: 36.
- (2009). “A influência de Poe na Estética e na Criação Musical Contemporânea.” Jornalismo Porto Net, U Porto, Apr.
- (2009). “Os limites do horror: vampiros, tecnologia e buracos negros” on Fred Botting The Limits of Horror: Technology, Bodies, Gothic (2008). Umbigo. Nr. 30: 40.
- (2009). “A “Máscara da Morte Vermelha”, de Edgar Allan Poe e Diamanda Galàs – Para uma Estética da Resistência na Música Contemporânea.” Umbigo. Nr. 29: 40.
- (2008). “O Choque da Ignorância: Paul Bowles na encruzilhada do deserto, em Their Hands are Green and Their Heads are Blue.” Umbigo. Nr. 28: 38.
- (2008). “A arte e o terror: O homem em queda, de Don Delillo.” Umbigo, Apr.
- (2008). “Sexo, colagens e rock & roll: Don Quixote, de Kathy Acker.” Umbigo, Jul.
Audio/visual and electronic/digital materials:
- (2008). La Luna. Ed. Universal.
Perfomances and exhibitions to the extent that they embody research:
- (2011). Coord. of the premiere of Tristan Chytroschek Songs of War: Music as a Weapon. Cinemateca de Lisboa, Nov.
- (2011). Coord. of the partnership between Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial (CEAUL/ULICES) and Pop Up Lisbon Festival 2011, with Luísa Cunha and Ana Perez-Quiroga.
- (2010). Singing performance at the Museu do Oriente, with pianist Irene Herrmann and songs of Paul Bowles. Part of the musical program of the Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial, 21-23 Oct.
- (2010). Coord. of the musical program of the Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial, 2010, at the Museu do Oriente, with pianist António Rosado, composer Richard Horowitz and pianist and musical executor of Paul Bowles, Irene Herrmann.
- (2010). Coord. of the bibliographic and videographic exhibition “Pirates at Heart – Excavating Paul Bowles”, an artistic and academic collaboration with U Delaware, Francis Pool and Tim Murray, U Lisboa Library.
- (2010). Coord. of the film exhibition of Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial at the Cinemateca Portuguesa, followed by a discussion with the film directors and Francis Pool, U Delaware.
Organisation of scientific dissemination activities:
- (2011). Org. Committee Int. Conf. Music as torture and as a weapon. Cinemateca Portuguesa, Nov.
- (2010). Org. Committee Int. Conf. Do You Bowles? Paul Bowles Centennial. U Lisboa, Museu do Oriente/Cinemateca Portuguesa, 21-23 Oct.
- (2013). ‘“Unlocking the “Segredo”: The 1957’s scandalous process of the PIDE-DGS – Politics of sound violence and torture in the Portuguese “Estado Novo”. Int. Conf. Music in Detention, U Göttingen, 15-16 Mar.
- (2009). “Edgar Allan Poe’s Influence in Contemporary Music: Debussy’s ‘Théâtre de la Peur’ (the Devil of Belfry and The Fall of the House of Usher), Lou Reed and Diamanda Galas.” 107th Annual PAMLA Conference, San Francisco, 6-7 Nov.
- (2009). “The Raven and The Mask of the Red Death: Lou Reed, Diamanda Galás and Edgar Allan Poe’s Resistance Aesthetics in Contemporary Music.” Int. Conf. Poe and Gothic Creativity, CEAUL/ULICES, U Lisboa, 17-19 Mar.
- (2008). “Alternative configurations of space, identity and languages in Their Heads are Green and Their Hands are Blue, by Paul Bowles”. Int. Conf. From Brazil to Macao: Travel Writing and Diasporic Spaces, CEAUL/ULICES, U Lisboa, 10-14 Sep.
- (2013). Ed. of Paul Bowles: The New Generation. Do You Bowles? NY/Amsterdam: Rodopi.
- (2013). “Noise and violence in Up Above the World, by Paul Bowles: Music as Torture in Modern Fiction.” In Paul Bowles: The New Generation. NY/Amsterdam: Rodopi.
- (2013). “Some revolting points.” In Paul Bowles: The New Generation. Do You Bowles? NY/Amsterdam: Rodopi.